(…this is probably based on a true story)
So a man walks into an Auto Repair shop with a gizmo from his car engine under his arm. (He has no idea what this gizmo is…)
He walks up to the counter with a sheepish look and asks the mechanic, “I need some help with this part. I have no idea what it is, how it works, or how to fix it.” (Very hard for a guy to admit)
The mechanic takes a quick look at it and replies, “You know, with a little help from your owner’s manual, I bet you could fix this up in no time.”
The man was somewhat taken back. “Wow, I’ve never had an Auto Repair mechanic say anything like that to me. Usually they’re just anxious to take my money. Can I talk to your boss to thank him for having employees like you?”
Now it was the mechanic’s turn to look sheepish.
He whispered back to the customer:
“Actually, our boss has us tell ALL our customers that. He figures they’ll just break something more expensive trying to fix this and have to come back to us and spend even more money.”
No matter what kind of business you’re in, online or offline, chances are you’ll eventually come up against something that you have no idea how to do.
So you have a couple of choices:
1) Spend hours/weeks/days trying to figure it all out for yourself, and then never really being sure if you’re doing it right…
2) Stifle your pride/ego and get help right away, saving yourself big buck, big time and big head-aches.
There’s a LOT to be said for taking initiative and figuring out as much as you can on your own.
There’s also a lot to be said for knowing your limits and knowing when it’s more effective to get outside help on some things, freeing up your time to spend on things you know you’re already good at.
Be your own judge… and be smart about it.
Make it a great day, and as always…
Most Recent Elevations…
- Daily Dose of Reality – You’re On Your Own?
- What The Hell is Going On in Our Schools?
- The Daily Dose of News You Wish You Didn’t Need
- Daily Dose of Basic Math – Wealth Inequality in America
- Daily Wake Up Call – March 4, 2013
- Daily Elevation – Zig Ziglar dies… Record Powerball Jackpot craziness…
- Weekly Elevation – the Made in USA Challenge and other very cool stuff…
- Elevation – Turning 40… the big “4-0″
- Elevation… MJ, the Power of Words and Playing it “Safe…”
- Elevation – Pumpkin muffins and rock walls that talk…