Even the name- The Hunger Games – draws you in and makes you say, “What the…”?
When my 10-year old daughter started reading The Hunger Games a few weeks ago, I didn’t give it much thought. But then my wife started “borrowing” it from her. Next thing you know they were arguing over who’s turn it was to read it. How silly…
Then they started on me-
“Dad, you’d really like it!” “Babe, you should really read this…” (Yes, my wife calls me “babe”. Can you blame her?)
Please. Read a novel geared towards young girls??? The Hunger Games?
I don’t think so.
But then I read the jacket… and Chapter 1. Then Chapter 2…
Next thing you know it was ME who couldn’t put it down.
Maybe it was the setting of The Hunger Games in ‘Panem’ (and wondering in the deepest parts of my mind if this is what post-WW3 America could really be like…)
Maybe it was “Gladiator-like” scenario. The rich and powerful using their “soldiers” for mere entertainment. Only these weren’t soldiers or gladiators… they were young boys and girls, none older than 18, who’s families were powerless to help them.
Maybe it was the near-impossible odds facing these 24 young boys and girls – “tributes” – as they were sent into the “Arena” to fight it out to the death… until only 1 survived.
No offense, but this isn’t another Harry Potter movie.
The Hunger Games will make you think. It will make you question yourself. It will make you wonder what you’d do in split-second decision that meant eating or starvation, trust or betrayal… life or death.
The Hunger Games will make you hungry for more.
I’m not heading to the midnight show tonight (I prefer a little leg-room), but my daughter, my wife and I have a date set to definitely go see it.
You should, too. Or at least read the book
Make it a great day, and as always…
Most Recent Elevations…
- Daily Dose of Reality – You’re On Your Own?
- What The Hell is Going On in Our Schools?
- The Daily Dose of News You Wish You Didn’t Need
- Daily Dose of Basic Math – Wealth Inequality in America
- Daily Wake Up Call – March 4, 2013
- Daily Elevation – Zig Ziglar dies… Record Powerball Jackpot craziness…
- Weekly Elevation – the Made in USA Challenge and other very cool stuff…
- Elevation – Turning 40… the big “4-0″
- Elevation… MJ, the Power of Words and Playing it “Safe…”
- Elevation – Pumpkin muffins and rock walls that talk…